Everyone needs and deserves a restful slumber after a long, stressful day. Both your mind and body relax during as you sleep. The rejuvenating power of sound sleep plays a major role in enabling you to feel energetic and refreshed after waking up. Sleep directly impact your health and wellness. Getting adequate sleep on a regular basis leads to better mental concentration and productivity. It can also lower the risk of gaining weight.
However, unfortunately, many people struggle to get proper sleep regularly. Even if you feel tired and worn out at the end of the day, you might find yourself twisting and turning after lying down in the bed. If you find yourself in this situation too often, your mattress might be the culprit. Your mattress has a major influence on your sleep quality, and therefore you need to be proactive about choosing the best mattress to buy in India.
Here are some of the ways your mattress may influence your sleep:
- House dust mites that trigger allergies: Old mattresses may become a breeding ground of dust mites and other allergens. The longer you sleep on the same mattress, the more susceptible it will become to dust mites. This especially would be an issue if you have asthma or some other respiratory condition. However, it is not possible to wash your mattress regularly. Hence, it is better to invest in a mattress protector instead, which can be washed and cleaned from time to time.
- Inadequate support leading to back pain: The amount of support your body receives from the mattress is crucial. A mattress that does not provide you proper spine support will not only cause backache that hampers your sleep quality, but may also cause severe ligament or muscle strain in the long run. If you wake up with throbbing back pain frequently, then there is a good chance that your mattress is not providing you with the support needed by your body. Thus, you would need to buy a new mattress that keeps your body supported and free from any aches and pains.
- Too much firmness can result in joint pain: Diverse people have varied preferences in regards to the firmness of their mattresses. While some like to sleep on soft mattress, others prefer a firmer one. However, as you will be putting your entire body weight on the mattress while sleeping, it is preferable to not select one that is too firm. Sleeping on an extremely firm mattress may cause excessive pressure on the hips, knees, shoulders and back, causing chronic joint pain. It will become quite difficult for you to sleep if you are experiencing joint pain in any part of your body.
- The wrong mattress can contribute to night sweats: It is often difficult to sleep if the room temperature is not ideal. In addition to adjusting their HVAC system, one must also pay attention to their mattress to get their body into the right temperature to enjoy restful slumber. A wrong mattress may contribute to night sweats. Certain mattresses trap the body’s natural heat, which causes excessive sweating and heat retention. Due to this, you may wake up in the middle of the night, feeling sweaty and humid. The issue can disrupt your sleeping pattern, and hence it is imperative to change your mattress when faced with it.
How to find the perfect mattress
The most important aspect to consider when buying a new mattress is to ensure that your spine stays aligned when you lie down. Your body type, personal preferences and sleeping position would influence the type of mattress best suited for you. It is also wise to consider the factors of durability, cost, and convenience. In addition, any sleep issues you may have, should also be taken into account while searching for the mattress.
The firmness of your mattress would largely depend on your sleep position.
- Side sleepers: People prone to sleeping on their sides should go for soft to medium firmness levels as they help keep your spine aligned. If the mattress is too soft, you might end up putting too much pressure on your hips and shoulders.
- Stomach sleepers: A firmer mattress is more suited for anyone who likes to sleep on their stomach, as one would not want their pressure points to sink in too far in this position.
- Back sleepers: Mattress with medium firmness is ideal for back sleepers. If it is too soft or too firm, you may not have proper alignment.
- Combination sleepers: Choosing medium firmness to best support your diverse positions if you move around at night would be a good idea.
When exploring options for the top mattress in India, keeping the things mentioned above will help you select the best matteress that suits your body and boosts your health.