Breast Cancer is a significant health cancer that affects millions of women in India and worldwide. Early detection and diagnosis is crucial for the prompt treatment of the disease. Women are encouraged to do a ‘self-breast examination’ regularly to make early diagnosis easier. Breast cancer treatment cost in India depends on various factors, including the spread of cancer, the treatment required, the type of medical facility, the expertise of the doctor, etc.
India is known for providing high-quality medical care for all kinds of treatment options. Patients have a wide range of hospitals and doctors to choose from according to their satisfaction.
India’s expert healthcare professionals ensure comprehensive patient care throughout the treatment. Breast Cancer Treatment Cost in India is affordable as compared to other countries across the globe. However, it is essential to be aware of the estimated expenses that will be required for the treatment so that the patient and their families can prepare themselves financially.
What is Breast Cancer?
Cancer starts developing in the cells of the breast. The cancer cells start growing abnormally and eventually collect to form a tumor/mass. These cells divide quickly and can spread to other body parts.
Breast cancer mostly occurs in women, but in some cases, it can develop in males as well. The cause of breast cancer is unknown. It could be because of genetics and lifestyle factors. Let’s read further about the expenses, symptoms, and causes of breast cancer.
How Much Does it Cost to Treat Breast Cancer in India?
The Breast Cancer Treatment Cost in India ranges from Rs. 133200 to Rs. 177600. In USD, that would be around USD 2700 to USD 3300.
The treatment of cancer consists of multiple treatments, including surgery, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, radiation therapy, medications, and combinations of these. Therefore, the treatment cost is so high.
The cost also varies from person to person and can depend on the type of hospital or medical facility chosen, the expertise of the doctors and surgeons, and the extent of the spread of cancer according to which the treatment is required.
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
Early detection of breast cancer can help in better treatment options and increase the chances of survival.
Some signs and symptoms of breast cancer are:
- Lump/ mass under the arm or on the breast
- Nipple changes, such as inversion of the nipple or unusual discharge
- Redness/sampling of the area around the nipple
- Changes in Breast shape/size
- Unexplained pain, fever, or weight loss
How is Breast Cancer Diagnosed?
Several methods can make the diagnosis of breast cancer. These include MRI, Ultrasound, Mammography, and Biopsy. Physical examination of the breast can also help in its detection.
The cancer is staged based on the shape and size, the extent of spread, and whether the lymph nodes are affected or not.
What are the options for treating Breast Cancer?
The treatment involves a multidisciplinary approach. It involves individual treatment or a combination of treatments. The primary treatment options include:
- Surgery: This involves removing the tumor and surrounding tissues. Types of surgery include lumpectomy, mastectomy, and lymph node removal.
- Radiation Therapy: High-energy rays are applied to kill cancer cells after surgery or to shrink tumors before surgery.
- Chemotherapy: Powerful drugs are administered to destroy cancer cells, either before or after surgery. Chemotherapy is often used when cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
- Hormone Therapy: This treatment targets hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers, blocking hormones that fuel cancer growth.
- Targeted Therapy: These drugs target specific abnormalities within cancer cells, leading to their destruction.
- Immunotherapy: This treatment boosts the body’s immune system to fight cancer cells.
Affordable Breast Cancer Care in India
Despite the lower costs, the total expense of breast cancer treatment can still be a significant burden for many patients. However, several initiatives and organizations in India provide financial aid and support for cancer patients, helping to make treatment more accessible.
- Government Schemes: The Indian government offers various healthcare schemes and insurance policies to support cancer patients financially.
- NGOs and Support Groups: Numerous NGOs and support groups are dedicated to helping cancer patients by providing financial assistance, counseling, and emotional support.
- Public Hospitals and Medical Institutes: Government-funded hospitals and medical institutes often provide cancer treatment at subsidized rates.
Which are the best hospital for the treatment of breast cancer in India?
The best hospitals in India for treating breast cancer are:
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
A famous healthcare facility in New Delhi, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital offers cutting-edge breast cancer therapy. The hospital provides comprehensive care, including early detection, correct diagnosis, and individualized treatment programs for patients with breast cancer, thanks to a staff of skilled oncologists and cutting-edge facilities.
Gurgaon’s Fortis Memorial Research Institute
Leading medical center Fortis Memorial Research Institute in Gurgaon has a specialized breast cancer unit. The hospital emphasizes early diagnosis through routine screenings and provides individualized treatment options for breast cancer, including surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and hormone therapy. It is outfitted with cutting-edge technology and a team of highly qualified doctors.
Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai
Apollo Hospitals on Greams Road in Chennai is widely recognized for its excellence in cancer care, including breast cancer treatment. The hospital’s Breast Cancer Center offers advanced diagnostic services and a range of treatment options, including surgical interventions and medical therapies, with a focus on preserving aesthetics and quality of life for patients. Comprehensive support services are also provided to address the emotional and physical aspects of the patient’s journey.
Although breast cancer is a serious health problem, outcomes can be greatly enhanced by early detection and access to therapy. India is a promising location for travelers looking for high-quality healthcare at reduced prices because it provides a variety of economic treatment alternatives for those with breast cancer. The burden of breast cancer therapy can also be lessened for many patients with the help of government initiatives and assistance from NGOs, ensuring that they get the care they need to fight this powerful disease.
Remember that frequent tests can help detect cancer in its early stages and that education and awareness about breast cancer are essential. Consult a healthcare provider right away if you or someone you know is exhibiting any symptoms to ensure rapid diagnosis and care.